> Store chickens are not happy chickens.  They are more like crack
> whore chickens forced to pop out eggs under duress.

My father-in-law was general manager (now retired) at Wilcox
Farms, a family-owned crack-hen-whore outfit that supplies
milk and eggs to Costco here in WA.  I've been on the tour.
No duress or force is applied.  Spent hens go to Campbell's.

One of his favorite stories about how smart chickens are is
from once when they were inoculating chickens.  Easy way was
to move the chicken one cage over as you went down the line.
That way you didn't forget where you left off.  After they
did this the chickens all stopped laying, etc.  Turns out
they were thirsting to death.  Couldn't figure out that the
water was now on the other side of the cage.  (Two spigots
out of a waterer at the corner of every other cage.)  They
shifted the chickens back over one cage and all was well
again.

-- Jim