Brian,

the whole open area in the transmission will physically only hold about 2 1/2
quarts.? since your leak is probably at the torque converter seal, air is
getting in where the oil is leaking out.? This lets the torque converter drain
down into the trans case, which it normally doesn't accomplish for some time.?
The torque converter holds about 2 1/2 quarts so about half of that could find
it's way back to the trans case fairly quickly!

Given the above scenario is true, you could actually be aggravating (feeding)
the leak by filling the trans to the full mark, which doesn't leave enough
space??for the oil to drain down.? The level in the trans case would?get high
enough that it leaks out the tq seal, even with the engine off!? Is that the
case?? Does the oil continue to drip, long after the engine is shut off?

I am sorry to answer your question with more questions, but here is one more.?
Have you checked the vacuum line to the transmission modulator for signs of
oil?? a cracked modulator diaphragm can let trans fluid get sucked into the
engine, agravating your fluid loss.

Marshall (RIP) has many times said to never fill in the oil to more than
halfway between the add and the full lines.? He was mainly talking about engine
oil, but I have seen automatic transmissions, filled to the correct hot level,
blow oil out the vent on a hard run up a long hill, or more likely, due to
aeration of the fluid, caused by something as simple as a loose filter.? We
are, after all, dealing? with a well used transmission, and quirky things can
happen.

I would start by never adding more than 1/2 quart when the dipstick gets down
to the add mark.? Lucas makes an additive for automatics which may swell that
leaking seal.?? Try to observe the drip rate with fluid at different levels,
with the engine off.

Finally, never park with the front of the car down hill!

Jim in Phoenx