On Mar 2, 2008, at 12:53 PM, Jim Cathey wrote:

> Heartbreak.  The engine runs OK, but idles rough and blows a lot of
> white smoke.  Could the timing be off?

In the past having a had an IP set with wrong timing, can't remember
if too far before, or after
I can say it nicely produces large volumes of white smoke.  The tech
in question was confused
between what to do with a 603 versus 617 and I think, (the 83 wagon
isn't here right now)
doesn't the timing notice on the front rail give two values depending
on how you measure?

John
1983 300TDt  386k Kilometers (mobil 1 Delvac)
1990's 300TDt  217k Kilometers (mobil 1 Delvac)
1993 500SEL 206k Kilometers (mobil 1 Delvac)