For those of us who don't like long range dial-up (26.4k max for me), can't
get DSL or cable, and are scared away by all the stories from satellite
customers, there's EVDO.

I bought a UTStarcom UM150 modem off eBay (it wasn't free, but I
don't have a two year contract either, I can quit at any time)
and after several days of trying to test the signal without
having service (exercise in futility), I finally activated the
thing today. I'm paying Alltel $60 a month plus whatever taxes
and fees they think I'll put up with, and it cost me $25 plus
tax to activate. (at least I got a referral from my cousin so
she gets a $25 credit on her next bill, anybody who wants an
Alltel referral please contact me)

This beats dial-up speeds by a wide margin:
http://www.speedtest.net/result/242315731.png

The bad news is that my ISP blocks outgoing email that doesn't
originate on their network, so I have to log off the EVDO and log
on to dial-up to send email.
Mitch.