Of course you know that when dog talk shows up, my ears perk up like a
Doberman Pinscher.
Okay, I read your post a second time and I get it now. I thought you were
saying that you had the urge to take Hayley to the pound. But you were
actually saying that others were urging you to take her to the pound. Got
it.

A thought:
Those who are urging you to take Hayley to the pound are actually not being
very PC. I am more used to having someone who dumps their dog at the pound
considered a very bad and irresponsible dog owner. Popular wisdom is that
people ought to stick it out for the sake of the dog just like married
couples stick it out for the sake of the kids. Anyway, that's just sort of a
rather inconsequential thought in my mind. People are going to do what they
are going to do, and at least the dog has enjoyed a temporary break from the
confinement of the pound (if that's where they came from). I do think that
folks ideally will be prepared to make the lifelong commitment, but nobody's
perfect. I know I'm certainly not.

A thought closer to my heart on the topic:

If the sentiment of the folks who urge you to take Hayley to the pound is
similar in motivation to the sentiment that a dog that bites ought to be put
down, then I have something to say about this. As someone who has had people
spew that assertion my way, I have given the whole thing some thought. I
have considered the hypocrisy that is the inordinate protection and
admiration that we afford wildlife as opposed to what we offer domestic
pets. I think I mentioned this in the past here - the example of the owl
that was attacking people here in town. Instead of shooting the stupid
thing, people were warned to stay out of the public park in which the owl
was living and attacking.

Yet I have been warned by more than one dog expert, and have read in more
than one book that if your dog bites someone - even if this someone has
broken into your house - you are liable, and the dog is subject to
punishment which could include death. I have yet to hear a viable defense
for this death penalty, at least one juxtaposed with our reverence toward
wild animals. I think that if a bear or a big cat was to maul someone we
would attempt to capture it an relocate it to a new home, right?

Deer overrun this town, as do raccoons. We also have coyote. But the first
two are seriously over-dense around here. I don't know what, if any, plan
the city has, but I do know that hunting is illegal and hunters are
considered backwards barbarians. But it seems to me that more and more car
accidents are going to occur in addition to more and more cases of rabies.
And trash cans are toppled and their contents strewn. And gardens are
destroyed. But these creatures are mystical. They are nature and thus they
are beautiful and to be reverenced as gifts from Mother Earth. How dare we
take any action to gain control over these species. Afterall who are we?
We're just a member of the animal kingdom - but one that has transgressed in
our conquest and occupation of the habitat of these holy creatures. We ought
to hang our heads in shame as the natural enemies of these wise and noble
beings. Oh, by the way, get that mutt off my lawn, I'm trying to meditate,
and I think that deer was about to communicate with me.

Pardon me. Living here in Western Washington is starting to annoy me.

As for the dogs and people's intolerance for anything resembling aggression:
If you really own a forceful, hard dog of a guarding breed (or herding in
this case), you travel a hard road, and I might pass and wave to you. One
time a couple of women banded together and took issue with my correcting my
late Dobie at the dog park. I called on them to stop whispering behind my
back, and to state their issue to me. In the end, I invited the woman to
call the cops. This was, I guess, all it took to make her do it. Cops showed
up, and after an officer lied to me about why she needed my name and number,
she gave it to the complainant so I could be turned in to Animal Control.
When A.C. called me the next day, I explained my side, and they sided with
me. One poignant thing the animal control officer told me is that if the
public could see how the police trained their dogs, they could not handle
it. This is why they do not do it in public. I assure you that my Dobies
have been just as hard dogs as police "K9"s. You cannot cajole or bribe
them. This will only lead to more out-of-control behavior. They need
unpleasant consequences for their problematic behavior - something to make
it worth their while to forego it in favor of what I, and the public, need
from them. Yes, they need a balance of both positive and negative
reinforcement. And one should only be "one ounce tougher than the dog" - no
more, no less. I quote Joel McMains.

When someone takes issue, for instance, with my firmness in getting my dog
to heel in public (in order to keep him from lunging at and jumping on
everything that he finds interesting), I simply hand them the leash and say
"show me". I am talking about a hard, dog that truly could be classified as
a "problem" dog - one that most people would surely take to the pound. I
choose to do the humane thing.

Brian