> On Wed, Mar 19, 2008 at 2:06 PM, Fmiser <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> wrote:
>
> > If the definition of a bot is a "robot" computer running a
> > program that the own is unaware of...
> >
> > Windows, mostly.
> >
> > A wide-open Linux computer can act an a relay, but it takes
> > effort to turn it into a bot. Mac is probably somewhere in
> > between. BSD tends to be locked-down by default, so it's not
> > likely to be a bot. Solaris is rarely run by amateurs, so
> > it's probably pretty rare for it to be a bot.
> >
> > --       Philip
>

> The most important thing to remember on a Windows machine is,
> to *never* set any of your accounts to "Administrative User".
>
> Always, Always, Always under XP and Vista set your accounts to
> "Limited User Account (LUA)" when you *need* to do System
> Administration and Maintenance, unplug from 'teh intarweb',
> log in as Administrator and do that work.

> If you are *not* logged in as Administrator it far more
> difficult for hacks and cracks to get installed because LUA's
> can not make direct changes to the registry keys. In some
> cases LUA's can't even make writes/changes to the Program
> Files folder. It doesn't make it impossible, and you should
> *still* run an OS based firewall/virus system even behind a
> router, but take a page from an old UNIX guy. *Never* log in
> as root (administrator), ever. Period. End of Discussion.

> EdB

That's easy in the Unix world (Linux, BSD, etc.) because there
is "su", "sudo", and "fakeroot". Is there something like that in
MS Windows? Some way I can install a program without having to
log out of my current user and log in as admin?

Since about 30% of the time my computer is booted into MS
Windows in to install software I gave up trying to use a
non-administrator account. But it's practically never connected
to the internet when in Windows. For that it's booted into the
"native" Linux.

One day - maybe soon - I'll get the network foibles of qemu
worked out and maybe then the only time I'll "boot" MS Windows
will be inside of Linux.... It's my dream!

--              Philip