During one of my B-52 missions to Hanoi during Linebacker II in Dec '72, I
overheard John Dalton, a B-52 pilot, report that they had been hit by SAM
(missile) shrapnel in their target area near Hanoi.  He said the aircraft
was flying reasonably well, but he made a precautionary landing at an
American fighter base in northern Thailand - Phan Rang.  After a couple of
days getting temporary repairs, John and his crew flew the aircraft on to
U-Tapao, Thailand, our home base.  From a crew bus on the way out to our
aircraft at the beginning of a subsequent mission, I saw the damaged
aircraft in a hangar as we passed.  I was amazed to see many little squares
of duct tape covering small holes in the skin - another good use for duct
tape!

Wilton