I guess the difference is, if you're holding your car keys and a bad guy
wants them, he'll take them.  If you're holding your gun, and a bad guy
wants it, it's a bit trickier for him.  In the US anyway.

Here in Canada, or where I am, handguns must be taken down, stored in a
locked metal box, bolted or securely fastened down to the house.  Ammo is
stored in a different locked box.  Before any of this happens, the cops will
come and check out the security of your house and talk to all your
neighbours.  Then you join a club, take a course, or two, get several
permits, an extra permit if you want or need to take the gun into a shop to
have it serviced.  Pay lots of money for all these things.

Hearing of a legal gun owner shooting someone here is almost unheard of.
Lots of bad guys shooting ppl daily though.  Guess the bad guys have more
time on their hands not having to fill out all the paperwork. :-)

Ed
300E