A couple things my old granddaddy used to say.  First was those who can,
do.  Those who cant, teach.  The 2nd thing he used to day was teachers
were some of the dumbest people on the world.

On a certain level, judging my SOME (not all) of the teachers I have
seen before, this is true.

LWB250 wrote:
> I would challenge anyone who thinks they can walk into
> a classroom and "teach" without prior training.  Very
> few could do it.  What's making it so difficult now is
> high-stakes testing and the accountability that
> accompanies it.  Schools and even teachers themselves
> will tell you that they're not "teaching to the test,"
> but I can tell you from working in education for
> nearly 7 years that this sort of statement is patently
> false.
>
> Our state-mandated testing just ended a few weeks ago.
>  You could feel the collective sigh of relief
> everywhere, and the change in classroom lessons and
> assessments the day after.  I'm all for testing, but
> this high stakes stuff is for the birds, at least the
> way it's currently administered.
>
> For the expectations and accountability being foisted
> on them now, teaching is a crappy job.  Add to that
> the sometimes adversarial relationship between the
> parents and teachers and it's really hard to justify
> doing it if you are a teacher.  They all deserve
> medals.  Not to mention the pay sucks.
>
> Dan
>

> --- LarryT <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
>> My daughter spent a couple of years in college
>> working toward her teaching
>> cert. until she had a stint at the local school  &
>> saw how things worked.
>> There were so many restrictions are "pre-prepared"
>> lesson plans than any
>> creativity on the part of the teacher was quashed.
>> She thought a robot
>> might do the job just as well.
>>
>> As it happens, last night I saw a video on the news
>> showing a teacher being
>> assaulted by a student - the teacher was being
>> interviewed & said there
>> would  likely be *no* punishment of the female
>> student who had kicked and
>> punched the teacher - for asking the student to have
>> a seat - while the
>> other students egged her on.
>>
>> There's a major problem at work here - the patients
>> have taken over the
>> insane asylem - as recently as the 60s when I was a
>> student no one would
>> have dreamed at assaulting a teacher.  Well there
>> were 1 or 2 who might
>> think about it but that's as far as it would have
>> actually gone .  Now we
>> have teachers being assaulted on a regular basis.
>>
>> Seems the parents believe the teachers will teach
>> the kids social values -
>> and the teachers are prevented from offering *any*
>> punishment - if a student
>> were paddled as happened once in a while when I was
>> in elem school the
>> lawyers outside the school the next morning would
>> have looked like the US
>> Army preparing to land at Normandy!
>>
>> Which leads to my next thought - people who bring a
>> lawsuit  should be
>> required to pay the legal bills if the suit is seen
>> to be frivilous.  but
>> naturally with the lawyers running Congress we;ll
> [...]

Kaleb C. Striplin/Claremore, OK
  94 E420, 92 300SD, 92 300D, 92 250D Turbo, 92 300E 4Matic,
  91 300D, 90 420SEL, 89 560SEL, 89 260E, 87 300SDL, 85 380SE 5.0 Euro,
  84 190D, 84 300D euro manny, 81 240D, 81 380SLC, 80 240D, 76 240D,
  76 300D, 72 250C, 69 250