I don't fly a lot.  But the last two times I have had to fly on
business, the maintenance problems have been a joke.

 * Continental Embraer regional jet takes off and pilot comes on to
   say that he can't confirm the landing gear are up.  Circle around
   to land and about 20 feet off the ground he throws the engines into
   takeoff thrust and we go around again.  Either he's made a bad
   approach or he wants the tower to confirm that the landing gear are
   DOWN.  Back at the gate they decide the problem can't be fixed on
   the spot and cancel the flight.

 * American Eagle Ebraer regional jet taxies out to takeoff and then
   taxies back to the gate due to "warning lights" in the cockpit.
   Maintenance "resets" something and we try again, same problem.
   Everyone off the plane back into the terminal, maintenance replaces
   a "box" turns out to be a computer of some sort.

 * American Airlines DC-9 (now called an MD 80 apparently, and
   according to the plate mounted by the door was manufactured in
   1983) is delayed leaving the gate for a lengthy evaluation and
   possibly work on the brakes.  In flight, I happen to be sitting at
   a window seat over the wing and notice fuel spraying out around the
   edges of a cover labeled "BOOST PUMP".  I point this out to a
   flight attendant, pilot comes to take a look and says "that's
   normal, probably just an old seal, we'll mention it to
   maintenance."

This all in just two round trips.  Not so good for confidence in
flying.
--
1983 300D