Nevermind, I found fuel pump relay.  It is under the passenger kick
panel, staring me in the face.  It said 8zyl Kickdown, so I dismissed
it as something to do with the trans kickdown circuitry.  After I
figured out the size and looked again, I figured out it was the
one.  The other thing that threw me off was that I was looking for an
8-pin plug.  This has a 12 pin plug, but only 7 pins on one end are used.

Now If I could only get the problem to re-occur when I am driving
it.  So far it only acts up when my daughter is driving, and I can
drive it around and have no problem.  Thanks again to Peter and Jim
for helping out!

At 04:30 PM 4/16/2008, you wrote:
>  From the photo on Rusty's site, it looks like the fuel pump relay
>should be a little smaller than a Klima relay.
>
>At 04:02 PM 4/16/2008, you wrote:
> >I am just now getting things thawed out enough to get back to this
> >project from Nov, just before the every other day snow storms hit.  (
> >got snow  in my face last sun!)  I removed the glove box and the trim
> >panel below the right dash.  I did not find much for relays behind
> >the glove box that looked like they fit this description.  There were
> >two large relay boxes behind the glove box.  One is aluminum cased
> >(about 4 x 4 x 1 1/8), and toward the firewall.  Bolted to it is a
> >black plastic cased relay of about the same size.  The black one has
> >a 12 pin plug in the bottom.  The aluminum one has a 12 or 14 pin
> >plug at the bottom.  On the right side, above the fusebox are a
> >series of "ice cube" relays.  I pulled one, and it is a 5 pin
> >plug.  At the top of this series is a taller relay that looks like an
> >overvoltage relay with the fuse on top (red cap.)
> >
> >If anyone can help to identify where the fuel pump relay is on a 1985
> >380SL, I'd appreciate it.  TIA.
> >

>Loren Faeth

Loren Faeth