LarryT wrote:
> Notice in all that you are *never* given the chance to tell the market what
> the price is *going* to be.

Sure you can. It's called a limit order. For example, let's say you are
willing to buy 1,000 barrels (42,000 gallons) of crude at $110 a barrel.
You just place a limit buy order for one contract at $110. As long as
there are plenty of buyers willing to pay more than $110, your order
doesn't execute. The traders (in the aggregate) set the price. It will
end up at whatever price the number of sellers equals the number of buyers.

I got to see this at work yesterday, as I made my first ever commodity
trade. (I usually trade stock index futures)
I bid $912 for a single June ZG (100oz gold), and watched the published bid
rise from $911.80 to $912 and then a seller quickly hit my bid and the quoted
bid dropped to 911.70 or something. By the time I could get a sell order
entered, the bid was 911.30 and the offer was 911.60, so I offered to sell
at 911.40 and sold it almost instantly. That was fun, so I did it again,
bid 912, then offered to sell at 912.7, this time it took over 30 seconds
for a buyer to hit my selling price. My willingness to buy at 912 held
the price up at that level for a second or two longer than it would have
without my participation, and my willingness to sell at 912.7 likewise
made a slight slowing of the rise to 913.5 that was underway.
As one person trading a meager 100 ounces, my effect on the market was
negligable, but I could see it in action.
Mitch.