Hopefully someone can offer some suggestions here.   I have two issues that
are giving me problems:

1.       The temp gauge usually holds at 100 or a degree or two above or
below.  It has started to register hot for a time every few miles, starting
in the last few months.  I have had the thermostat replaced,  radiator
flushed and the temp sensor replaced [old one was a bit corroded], and this
morning when it jumped up to 120 I headed back to the shop and a temperature
sensor showed nothing on the engine or cooling system over 180 while the
gauge was at 119.  Sometimes it jumps [like an air bubble] and sometimes it
climbs and goes back down slowly.  Tomorrow  the cluster will be pulled and
the resistance on the wire checked, as well as the vacuum lines.  Any other
thoughts ?

2.       My injection pump has been making noise [much louder in the car
than outside, but a stethoscope on the pump found the noise was within].  I
got a rebuilt pump and had it installed - but the mechanic doing the install
really doesn't have any history on those things.  While there are always 3
or 4 MB's in the lot it turns out I am one of only two diesels they take
care of.   When I picked it up it was already running, and smoking more than
before, though most of the noise was gone - or at least quieter and
different.  When I started it the next morning it was making a fair amount
of noise and putting lots of smoke.  It lessened when it got warmed, and by
the time I have driven it a few miles the noise is pretty much gone [you can
still hear it a little bit over the engine noise], the smoke lessens, but is
still much more than it has ever been, and the power seems lessened.  At
this point if I want to get moving in a normal fashion I need to turn off
the AC, but it still does not seem as peppy.  I know I am not accelerating
as hard as usual because I am sure something is wrong somewhere, but it
still seems a tad anemic.  I also assume that those clouds of black smoke
the tend to surround my at stop lights is fuel that is not being burned as
it should.  At $4.199 / gallon I don't like that.

I did get my 250k kilometer badge over the weekend - they do look nice.
Wonder if I should buy the $2,200 MB watch from the catalogue to go with it
.     Is there a 'normal' spot to mount this?  At the moment it is angled
behind the rear speaker to push up against the rear glass while I decide if
I want to put it on the front grill.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.  I'll take them down to the shop in
the morning.

BillR

Jacksonville FL

1981 300SD   3001k miles