A wagon and a small trailer is a good traveling arrangement, as you
can leave the trailer parked and tour in the wagon, plus with the
TD's self-leveling suspension and diesel power, it would be a good
tower.

I vacationed for years in a Caprice wagon and a 16' trailer. The
wagon towing cutoff wagon seems laughable to me--an admirable looking
conversion, but why not just sleep in the wagon itself, if you're
going to do without other trailer amenities, rather than tow another
wagon body--which is VERY heavy. Caprices, with the exception of the
LT1-powered 92 on ones, are stout, but not exactly overpowered even
towing nothing. If you need a place for gear, tow a small covered
utility trailer and sleep in the car. I love the idea of teardrops,
as I like to be able to get right in a trailer in the rain, or at a
rest stop, without having to unfold a fold-down. ALso, there are some
vintage teardrops that are really classy looking and would look great
and tow well behind a TD. But new ones are out of sight--5 or 6 grand
for a tiny one. You could buy two wagons for that price.

I travel a great deal--up to a couple months per year of road trips
or more--and considered getting a teardrop to tow behind my SD. My
eventual solution was to get a VW Vanagon Westfalia pop-top camper
and convert it to turbodiesel power. The space and convenience--
cathedral ceiling with the top popped up, which takes about 5
seconds, lots of light, ventilation, and stand-up room, closet, sink,
stove, two dining tables, swivel captains chairs up front, sleep four
in two beds--add a portapotty, which I did, and you've got everything
but a shower. Plus, mileage and maneuverability is better than with a
trailer--25 mpg. Very comfortable seats, handle well, nice drivers.
Great around-town haulers when you're not traveling--they're
positively cavernous inside, unlike minivans which are much more
wagonlike, and have one-ton suspensions. And you're still doing the
German diesel thing.

I've had mine 4 years and 40k miles--all most all multi-thousand-mile
road trips. Great living and working space. Would rather sell my SD
than my Westy, tho I love both.

Dan