If you look where the linkage comes up from the pedal on to the firewall
there it is. about 2" and mounted to the firewall. The rest of the
linkage goes laterally from here to the front of the engine. If the
emergency stop didnt work then you have binding somewhere. Get someone
to stomp on the accel (eng off) and watch the linkage. On the engine
side of the IP you should see motion, the hammer should hit the full
stop back there.

andrew strasfogel wrote:
> Do you have a diagram showing where this bushing  is?  Is it easily
> accessible from the top of the engine?
>
> On Mon, May 5, 2008 at 11:30 AM, Rolf <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>

>> I too vote for linkage if you couldnt shut it off with the emergency
>> stop. Check the bushing at the firewall, this deteriorates and fails.
>> $45 part....
>>
>> -Rolf
>>
>> LWB250 wrote:
>>
>>> I would go back and check the whole vacuum system in detail, especially
>>>
>> the modulating valve on the IP and the overboost line from the manifold.
>>
>>>   Your inability to get ful revs with the accelertor would have me
>>>
>> looking at linkage from the pedal to the IP, too.
>>
>>>   I think you've got multiple problems.  Start with the vacuum system
>>>
>> and make sure it's 100% first.
>>
>>>   Dan
>>>

>>> andrew strasfogel <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>>   A Seres of Unfortunate Events has culminated in her well looked-after
>>>
>> '85
>>
>>> 300CD being reduced to a sluggy nonturbo that can't even reach 25 mph.
>>>
>> Here
>>
>>> is the progresion:
>>>
>>> 1) Car wouldn't shift beyond second gear. Dealer detected and replaced a
>>> leaky oil cooler line (car was low on translmission fluid). Problem
>>>
>> solved
>>
>>> - car now shifted beyond second gear.
>>> 2) Two weeks later, she noticed it wouldn't go past 3500 rpm. I then
>>> observed that the car wouldn't shift into FOURTH gear no matter what! It
>>> wasn't clear whether this was a NEW problem or had been there since we
>>>
>> got
>>
>>> the car back from the dealer.
>>> 3) At about that time, she parked the car at the mall and the engine
>>>
>> refused
>>
>>> to shut off! Neither of us was able to do so manually after 15 minutes
>>>
>> of
>>
>>> fruitless attempts (even attempted to stop up the exhaust). When we gave
>>>
>> up
>>
>>> and drove back home, the car had developed a case of slow speed sickness
>>>
>> -
>>
>>> no turbo/no revs beyond 2000/incapable of going faster than 20 mph. :((
>>>
>> MB
>>
>>> roadside came and diagnosed and replaced a split vacuum line near the
>>> firewall that solved the shutoff problem, but this did not solve
>>> sluggishness issue. If I manually move the linkage I can get high revs,
>>>
>> but
>>
>>> not with the foot throttle. The rod linkages are all intact.
>>>
>>> Ideas and (cheap) solutions gratefully accepted!
>>>
>>> Andrew
>>> 1985 300CD
>>> 1983 300TD