Yes, you can copy stuff over with a few exceptions. Both Vista and XP
work with NTFS and Fat filesystems. If you get permission errors, you
can try booting from a BartPE CD. That gives you access to the
filesystem without Windows trying to enforce any security constraints.

http://www.nu2.nu/pebuilder/

-Dave Walton