I own one and have driven three. I have also owned 2 NA manual diesels.
Dog slow my a**. The only problem is spooling the turbo up in first gear
and we are talking tads slower as the automatic has to spool as well.
Once you get on it it stays spooled during shifts. Also about 75lb
lighter and with a VNT turbo all your spooling problems go away. I
personally hate automatics for daily use, my wifes wagon still has one
but the day I start having real problems with it I will drop a manual in
(I already have it sitting in the shed). Those who argue that its not
OEM are ignorant. I have pictures of my wife standing next to a 300TD
with a 5 speed at the MBZ museum.

Again, to each their own, some like to drive without having to pay
attention to whats really going on.....

-Rolf