Interstates are inherently safer for just that reason
- no  intersections or crossroads.  The only thing I
don't like about it down here is because of all the
grit and sand that's in the air.  If you don't wear
proper riding gear (and I ALWAYS do) the stuff hits
you and it's like being stuck with little tiny needles
wherever you have exposed skin.

Check out this great motorcycle safety Web site:

http://www.msgroup.org/default.aspx

The FL DMV is running a motorcycle awareness PSA right
now about watching for bikes when entering main
thoroughfares.  They show a guy in his car, checking
both direction, then pulling out in front of a bike,
which T-bones him at posted speed.

I flinch every time I see it, mainly because i think
of all the times I've had people do just that.

One of the first things I did when I bought my Virago
was to upgrade the headlight wiring and install a
headlight modulator.  Best money I ever spent as far
as safety.  I can tell that people see me during the
day, as they immediately take notice of the flashing
headlight like it was an emergency vehicle.

What's especially funny is the times when I've pulled
up in front of some stoner who thinks they're being
busted and they pull over and get out of the car.
I've had this take place twice.  It was hard not to
laugh...

Dan

--- Rick Knoble <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I have been riding a bike for around 27 years on and
> off. The freeway or tollway is probably safer than
> backroads or city streets. I do not have the
> statistical data or references in front of me,
> however most accidents occur at intersections and
> crossroads. There are no intersections or crossroads
> on the interstates or toll roads.
>
> Rick Knoble
>
> '07 HD FLHTCU
> '83 Honda GL1100a