I had this same problem on my head.  The steel pin was well attached to the
aluminum around it.  I finally broke down and bought a removal tool after
breaking 2 bolts off IN THE PIN.  The job took more time to remove the new
(correct) tool from it's package (30 seconds?) than to remove the pin from the
head (10-15 seconds)...

Luther, I can ship this tool AND head tool first thing in the morning...

--
Luther   KB5QHU    Alma, Ark
'87 300SDL (272,xxx mi) head case