I'm having this done today on my 300D with a bad compressor.  It's
required for a new compressor warrentty, and I'd not put a new (or
repaired) compressor in without one.  There is no way to remove the
crud from a parallel pass condenser or evaporator, especially the
evaporator, and sooner or later grit will get into the compressor,
wrecking it.

I'm not sure why there isn't one in there to start with.

My mechanic friend always puts on in when replacing a compressor.

Leaving it at vacuum and having it drop to 23" means one of two
things -- there is some water in the dessicant (most likely) or a
tiny, slow leak.  Leaving the vaccum pump on overnight  if the pump
will take it is an excellent idea, or it not, close it and leave it
with gauges on as long as you can before charging.  This will
evaporate more water and low vapor pressure contaminants.  Also, you
can set the air to recirc and heat to max and bake out the evaporator
before you charge, too.  Won't get it really hot, but any heat helps
while applying vacuum.

Peter