I've never tried to do the job you did, but I recall similar frustrations
with such jobs in the past.  Sounds like you did it right.
BillR

-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
On Behalf Of Allan Streib
Sent: Wednesday, June 18, 2008 12:14 AM
To: Mercedes Discussion List
Subject: Re: [MBZ] vacuum pump assembly question

To continue talking to myself on this thread -- I decided that maybe
the little tabs on the retaining disc were bent, just enough to not
engage the lip on the pipe adapter.  I gently hammered the tabs, and
either they WERE bent a little, or the hammering flattened and
elongated them enough to engage and hold the spring in place.

I'm not sure how long this will last, but I can at least wait until I
have enough other parts needs to get an order together.

Allan
--
1983 300D