I've done it on a 114 and a 108, both were jobs from Hades.  I would not
encourage anyone to do it unless they had a lot of time and were willing to
shred their hands and arms in the process.

  I think the 114 was the first one I did (1970 250C) and it took me all of two
very long days.  I still have scars from it - literally!

  Dan

OK Don <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
  I've done it twice, and that's enough. The first time I followed the
MB repair manual - pretty much what Tom said, but I also removed the
entire dash, if memory proves correct.
The second time, (different car - no rust), I pulled it out through
the center speaker hole. It took half the time, but some surgery to
make the hole larger. The speaker grill then didn't clip in - I used
3M trim adhesive to keep it in place.
This was many years and cars ago - I'm afraid the exact steps have
long since been purged from memory, and it pre-dates digital
photography.