... I've pushed a change into branch plugins-dir (just execute git pull;
git checkout plugins-dir in the merkaartor tree to get it).

It should fix your problem for now, but it's not a final solution, as I
feel it's a bit clumsy. It also changes the default build to release,
and I can't seem to do anything about it (it actually changes to
whatever your qt build is). This will probably be permanent change, but
needs documenting.