On Wed, 31 Mar 1999 [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> Gosh!
> I just read an artical about new virus called "Melissa". When a user
> opens this email in his or her MS Outlook, the MS Visual Basic macro
> virus automatically sends a copy of itself to the first 50 people in the
> user's address book. The subject heading reads, "Very important message
> from [user]", (user = the last person who unknowingly sent it.) It
> spreads like fire, from anyone who was unintentionally sent this email,
> opening this email will breed another 50 copies. I read it in England's
> Telegraph newspaper (31 March, 1999). Summery: dont open any messages
> with the "important message..." business in the heading. I just thought a
> bunch of emailers like you guys might need this info. Let me know if you
> find out anything about this virus.
>
> -oliver
This is a report that would normally have triggered all my hoax detectors
due to the total lack of references, but luckily I'd already been informed
by a more reliable source.

For more info and the straight dope, check
http://www.cert.org/advisories/CA-99-04-Melissa-Macro-Virus.html

--
Henrik Olsen,  Dawn Solutions I/S
URL=http://www.iaeste.dk/~henrik/