Hi all,

Please cc my direct address for any replies.  I receive only the list
digests.

The Entropia.com team has expanded to five!  We have added a new
PrimeNet support & operations engineer, Brad Bernard.  Brad will soon
be picking up and answering traffic sent to <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
watching over the PrimeNet server, and helping George.  I've known
Brad for 6 years, and know he'll continue making the job look much
easier than it really is.

[Shane:]
> There are a number of less intrusive options availible other
> than a message box which would REQUIRE user interaction.
> [...]
[Aaron:]
> Well, these are all good thoughts, let's see what George
> and Scott can do...they've already done so much as it is.

Shane's suggestions are closer to what we will probably do.  PrimeNet
4.0 already supports client update notification, but we have yet to
decide how to best use it.

[Brian:]
> Interesting. rpcnet.dll from the v18 distribution is much
> smaller than that in the v17 distribution.
>
> Should be safe enough to keep the v17 distribution copy.

Yes, but it the v17 version uses a proxy running on the old PrimeNet
3.1 server's box.  I'd rather everyone use HTTP if possible, or at
least use the updated v18 version dated 4/12/1999.

> Actually my systems are all using either http or the special
> rpcnet.dll used to connect to the PrimeNet Proxy server, so I just
> don't know how badly the v18 rpcnet.dll is broken.

The v18 program defaults to HTTP when you first install it, so new
users should not run into it.  The PrimeNet FAQ page also describes
how to handle the RPC run-time library crash situation.

I've updated the posted v18.1 zips with a new RpcNet.dll.  I couldn't
get it to crash.  If you have an environment that can test this,
please do so and tell me how it went.

> Floris Looyesteyn ( who has to retest 2 7mil primes which
> were at 70%)

Floris, tell us which exponents those were and we'll credit your
account for the lost work.

[Martin:]
> Did someone else notice that the top producers lists on
> mersenne.org and entropia.com are inconsistent? Apparently,
> on mersenne.org the exponents that were affected by the
> V17-bug are no longer taken into account.
> Shouldn't this be dealt with consistently?

The GIMPS list and PrimeNet lists have never really been consistent.
They track different objectives, though I suppose we could be more
clear about calling attention to that.

GIMPS specifically reflects work accomplished toward a research
objective - completing valid LL primality test results.  You lose time
to invalid results, factoring, earlier LL tests for numbers
subsequently factored, etc.

In contrast, PrimeNet simply tracks how much CPU time you gave in good
faith to GIMPS as part of its virtual machine.  Primality tests,
factoring, double-checking, and even time lost to errors count.  You
give the time to the networked project, and PrimeNet counts it.

Does anyone have AOL 4.0 working with Prime95 on a dialup account?
The problem I'm trying to solve for the FAQ page is how to configure
AOL to be the default dialup service so Prime95 checks AOL for a
connection, not Windows DUN.  If Prime95's 'Use a dialup network
connection' box is checked, the symptom is Prime95 says there's no
dialup connection even when AOL's connection is open.  Another symptom
is Prime95 causes the Windows dialup connection box to pop up instead
of AOL if the checkbox is off.  One person told me he solved this by
configuring the AOL hotkeys, though I have no idea what this meant.

Best regards,
scott