Thanks for the responses to my suggestion on this topic. Brian Beesley's
ReCache code was very helpful. It doesn't lower the best possible iteration
time attainable on my machine, but it does provide a reliable way to get it.
In fact, I found that there is only a marginal difference between the
performance of ReCache+Prime95 under the Explorer GUI versus using Prime95
as a system shell. With the former, my pII-400 gets 0.188sec/iteration on an
exponent around 6.39 million (320K FFT); with the later, it gets either
0.188 or 0.187 sec/iter.

I made one small but useful enhancement to Brian's code: at the beginning of
pass 2b, I added a call to the system() function using argv[2] as the
argument. This saves the user from having to manually start Prime95 at the
precise moment that Brian specified. On my desktop I have a shortcut with
the command line
   c:\stuff\recache 64 c:\stuff\prime\prime95.exe
which starts prime95 using the modified ReCache program. Now when I leave my
computer for the day or go to bed, I can close Prime95 and then restart it
with this shortcut in order to insure optimal performance while I'm gone.