>> *never ever* cheap out on power supplies.

> This is good advice, but personally I have never seen the
> point of giving every machine in a rack of computers its own
> power supply rather than having one big one and just running
> DC all the way up the rack.  The fact that it is not done
> that way seems to be about politics of having AC wall current
> rather than engineering efficiency.

> Why not have a single (redundant) big 24VDC power supply for
> all the boards instead of supplying them all 120VAC?

Well, I would guess that this is a catch-22.  This is a good idea,
which could actually produce cheaper, high quality power.  But this
is non-standard.  The logistics of creating a new case design, and power
supply designs are more than most corporations are willing to stomach on
something as cheap as electric power, and equipment that is going to be
upgraded in 2 years anyway.

-Lucas Wiman