[On the off chance that no one else has replied to this since it was
received...]

On Sat, 19 Jun 1999 12:55:46, Jeff Woods wrote:

<snip>

Starting at about M13, you see that there are indeed islands:

<snip some more>

Given the strong linearity of "log(exponents of mersenne primes)", it is not
surprising that the averages of consecutive pairs or triples will also be
linear. Indeed, taking the "centers" of the islands as data points will
actually produce a stronger correlation than the original data.

If I go back and average consecutive exponents (well, the log of the
exponents, anyway), the correlation with a straight line improves from .9925
to .9935 (compared to the original data). If I get to throw away the ones
that don't "fit" according to some arbitrary criterion, it may improve
marginally. [Note: using your choices actually reduces the correlation to
.9849!]

So perhaps we should remember Mark Twain: "There are three kinds of lies:
lies, damn lies, and statistics."

-Shaun
Quantum Mechanics: The dreams stuff is made of