I hate the charity idea only because it seems to me that a "Mersenne
Scholarship Fund" would do much more for our project in many ways:

1. We could control where the money goes to a greater extent.
2. It would allow us to contribute a great deal more mathematics in
general.
3. More notariety.

-Chuck

On Sat, 17 Jul 1999, Eric Hahn wrote:

> George Woltman wrote:
> >Hi all,
> >
> >     At the risk of opening Pandora's box, I'd like to bring
> >up the possibility of splitting up the $100,000 award for a 10 million
> >digit prime.  I'm soliciting everyone's opinion before making a decision.
> >

> 1/4 to George or charity (his choice)
> 1/4 to Scott or charity (his choice)
> 1/2 to the discover(s) or charity*
>
> *The discover(s) get to chose only if there is orderly
> exploration of exponents. Otherwise, it goes to a
> charity of their choice.
>
> That would be changed to 20%, 20%, 40%, and 20%, with the
> last 20% going to the individual(s) responsible for
> increasing the search speed significantly, if such event
> occurs.
>
> This promotes an orderly exploration of exponents, yet
> allows those who want to find a 10M digit prime just
> for fun (and unorderly) to have the opportunity without
> being completely penalized.  It also encourages the
> advancement and development of new algorithms.
>
> This is all, of course, assuming a GIMPser is the
> discover(s)...

: WWW: http://www.silverlink.net/poke   :
: E-Mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]         :