Read the archives, this has been discussed 2 or 3 times before

-----Original Message-----
From: burlington john [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Wednesday, July 21, 1999 19:47
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Mersenne: The sound of number searching

Hello Mersenne,

  Sorry for bad english its not my native language, thanks.

  I run mprime (or prime95 ntprime) on my laptop.

  When I start the programm on my notebook it makes a strange mechanical
  pulsing sound like an old damaged wheel or like an ill cricket.
  The sound doesn't come out of the speakers and is not the fan
  from the cpu.
  First I thought it is the fan probably it is getting hotter
  and then the spin is not perfect due the heat. But when I run
  other cpu stressing programms (rc5des) there's no sound.
  Then I thougth it is the harddisk but when the harddisk goes
  to sleep mode the noise is still there.
  Then I thought the speakers could be responsible. I removed the
  soundcarddrivers moved the volume control knob to 0: still
  hear the sound.
  When I press some areas on my notebook the sound disappers for a
  few seconds but then it comes back.

  The funniest thing is when I start other cpu stressing programms
  while (m)prime is running the sound is changing. Each programm
  plus (mp)prime changes the sound in a special way so I can recognize
  exactly on the noise which programms are currently runnig.

  Why the hell is my notebook making such strange noise when running
  this programm ? Any ideas ?

  I'm goning to get crazy listening that noise all the time.

Best regards,
 Burlington                          mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]