>From: Jukka Santala <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>Subject: Re: Mersenne: IRC?
>Date: Wed, 22 Mar 2000 20:01:04 +0200
>
>That's not a problem, it's the purpose of IRC... ;) Regardless, I've
>(intermittently) keeping up the channel #Mersenne on DALnet IRC network

I have been on there too, but there seems to be nobody on /sigh/

> > (1) IRC (like voice telephone) is on-line and you therefore tend to
> > mouth off before thinking out a logical, coherent reply;
>
>s/on-line/real-time. Actually, the same holds true for instant messengers
>and
>the way most people use e-mail. It's also very much like the evil "Real
>World"
>you hear legends being told about ;) In other words, it isn't just a
>disadvantage, there are some advantages to that too.

Agreed.

>They're called channels, and mostly that depends specifically on the
>channel
>you join. If you get a message from a stranger to go to some channel for
>example, don't join, because those kinds of channels have usually been set
>up
>by somebody for the bizarre reason of getting high usercount alone and have
>nothing happening but other such people advertising their channels!

The other thing that helps is to warn the people that are sending "earn
money surfing the web" messages to stop.  Cycle (leave and rejoin the chan)
about five minutes later, and then send email to the abuse@ or webmaster@
address of the "earn money" company in question with the number the person
gave you (usually the last part of the URL they provide).  They'll often
close their account.

Also,
>setting yourself "Invisible" from the mIRC login settings will remove you
>from
>the public user listings so people can't message you with advertisements
>out of
>the blue. However these days most IRC networks do pretty good work weeding
>out
>those ads.

Agreed.  /mode (yournick) +i works too.

Nathan