> What about CSS? Take a look at http://zicon.cjb.net/ -- no frames, no FONT
> tags, no tables, but it still looks great.

unluckily, only MSIE seems to implement CSS properly.  Netscape is way behind.

Personally, I like to design my webpages so they work just fine on NS 3.0 or IE4.
I avoid as many bells and whistles as possible, mouseovers etc are just so much
silliness.  I also dislike frames, and prefer to use a table based server-side
include based layout... Of course, this makes your page source dependant on the
particular web server, but that at least is something you have control over,
there's no control over what browser the user will have.

-jrp