>From: Henk Stokhorst <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>Subject: Mersenne: time needed for factoring
>Date: Wed, 17 May 2000 19:47:38 +0200
>
>L.S.,
>
>Just curious, what makes factoring 13.388.659 take four times as long as
>13.375.793?
>
>YotN,
>
>Henk Stokhorst

Hmm...  Maybe this should be a FAQ question.  I sincerely doubt you'll be
the last one to ask it in the next month or two.

Exponents beyond 13,380,000 are trial-factored to 65 bits rather than 64
bits.  This means that the program needs to check (almost) twice as many
factors; additionally, sieving each of the potential factors takes longer
for hardware-related reasons that appear in the list archives a week or two
back, IIRC.

Regards
Nathan Russell