>"Alexander Kruppa" wrote:
>
>The screen-saver idea is important for another reason.
>I asked several coworkers and secretaries to let Prime95 (NTprime,
>actually) run on their PCs and they agreed, but they were less than
>happy when I asked them to change the pretty 3-d screen savers for
>something that lets NTprime have more cpu power. With the selection
>Microsoft offers right now, that means "Blank Screen" or "Marquee" -
>neither is extremely exciting to watch. Before long, most of them went
>back to the old screen savers and NTprime slowed down to a halt.

"...slowed down to a halt" is no exaggeration. I've seen screensavers slow
it down to more than 7 seconds per iteration at 800+ MHz. I have it running
on some PCs where the user has the screensaver set to start after 5 minutes
then sets the power management so the monitor turns off after 10 or 15
minutes... and what really bothers me is that the screensaver continues to
run even with the monitor off. (Is there some way to prevent that which I
don't know about?) One idiot even had her settings such that the screensaver
didn't start until _after_ the monitor went off.

There are so many screensavers available now that one can be found to match
any personality, and I have found it impossible to get people to let go of
one they really like. So I don't believe Brian's idea will do very much
good; but then every little bit helps.

Steve Harris
[EMAIL PROTECTED]