I've been following the status of gimps recently with the following
page:

    http://mersenne.org/status.htm

It shows that the countdown to testing all exponents below M(6972593)
at least once is 33.  I see this a very large milestone.  Last week the
countdown was 34, and the week before that it was 34.

I would assume the slow progress is because the last few exponents are
reserved by people with very slow processors who still update with the
server at least every 60 days.

Has thought been given to this?  Could these last few exponents be
assigned for double checking now?  It would at least satisfy my
curiosity.

 -aron