On 14 May 2001, at 23:33, Steinar H. Gunderson wrote:

> Or perhaps being set back by the description of an "in-depth discussion
> about Mersenne primes"... ;-) When people start throwing the maths
> around, I feel like I should take more maths soon :-P
>
> Anyhow, no critique, but perhaps this _isn't_ a mailing list for the
> general user. I personally like it, but the average SETI@Home `convert'
> might not. Perhaps we could have a general `users' list instead?

If you understand _nothing_ discussed on a mailing list, there's no
point in subscribing. Similarly if you understand _everything_. You
can always delete the messages which you consider beyond your
intellect, or beneath contempt. Personally I like the range we have
at present.

Some of the deeper maths makes me go away & read up on the topic, &
occasionally I get a bit wiser as a result.

The usual problem with splitting a mailing list into "experts" &
"novices" lists is that the "novices" list dies out for lack of any
"expert" content. I don't think splitting this list would work unless
the "novices" list was actively managed by a few of us who do have
reasonable experience.