On Tue, 15 May 2001, Gareth Randall wrote:

> Also, any code would be very hardware specific, and may only work if
the display was not displaying, say, a desktop.

> However, if someone could implement it, it could provide the *ultimate*
in Mersenne related screen savers! What you'd see on the screen would be
the actual calculations themselves taking place before your eyes, and
with no overheads for displaying it either!

This question pops up every once in a while. A few years ago I looked
through a postscript manual wondering how difficult it would be to build a
postscript file that crunched RC5 keys when a printer tried to render it.

The latest bleeding edge graphics cards are programmable to a limited
degree (am I thinking of the ATI Radeon here?) but not nearly programmable
enough, I'm sure.

Heck, at least these ideas have a better chance than the guys who want to
crack the programming on kids' toys to make them crunch RC5 keys  :)

jasonp