On Thursday 29 August 2002 13:30, Gary Edstrom wrote:
> I have noticed a small but definite increase in the iteration time of
> version 22.8.1 as opposed to 21.4.
>
> During the night, when my 2.2GHz Pentium IV system was free of all other
> processing activities, the iteration times were as follows:
>
> 21.4  47 msec
> 22.8.1        50 msec

Is the exponent very close to the run length threshold? If so you're now
running with per-iteration roundoff checking. On my P4 1.8A (with PC800
RDRAM) I found this made very little difference, but systems with more
limited memory bandwidth may be more affected by this.

> I am continuing processing on the very same exponent using the new
> version.  Is this allowed?

It works, reliably, though sometimes the FFT run length may change at the
time of the upgrade.