On Sunday 01 September 2002 03:35, George Woltman wrote:

> Our intrepid researcher broke down the non-clean run stats below.  So if
> you get a single error, you've got a 2/3 chance of being OK.  Two or more
> errors and your chances are not good.

There will be a major change in this area - since new versions run
per-iteration roundoff error checking when close to FFT run length
crossovers, there will be a fair number of _reliable_ results with multiple
(automatically checked) roundoff errors.

Perhaps the analysis should distinguish between runs where all roundoff
errors were found to be "false alarms", and runs where a roundoff error seems
to have been a glitch.

Analysis of the seven results in the "bad" database submitted on my account:

3 due to a failed CPU fan (on an old P100 system, running in an
air-conditioned computer lab. One with detected roundoff errors, two without)
2 due to software bug in a recent alpha release
1 due to hard disk problem - almost certainly bad swap file I/O caused memory
corruption on a busy system (without detected error)
1 (also without detected error) cause unknown.