I know there has been some discussion on this list about the
theoretical possibility of staying in frequency space and doing a bunch
of point-wise squarings in there instead of computing the inverse DWT
after every iteration.  Now, I'm not suggesting this as a feasible
avenue for GIMPS as I've read some of the arguments against it in the
archives.  I'm just curious as to how it might proceed if you could
assume infinite precision, etc.  For instance, would it be as simple as:

DWT(x) -> X^n -> IDWT(X^n) == x^n (mod 2^q - 1) (where "n" is now only
2?)

Of course I'm simplifying by not including the subtraction by 2, but
you get the idea.  Also, if it *is* this simple, could there be any
modular reduction of the X^n before doing the IDWT?  Any explanation
would be appreciated.

Brendan Younger