From: John R Pierce [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]

> ok, true.  I forgot VIA is allowing this.  AFAIK,
> the i845pe doesn't support memory faster than the
> CPU FSB (it allows SLOWER memory, the older i845e
> only supported 100/200Mhz DDR w/a 133/266/533 CPU bus).

Look again... the 845PE and 845GE do, in fact, support DDR333 as well as
DDR266 memory with a 533 MHz FSB.
See:
http://www.intel.com/design/chipsets/845pe/index.htm?iid=ipp_dlc_chip+de
skchip_845pe&

> I have had so many bad experiences with VIA based
> systems and poor PCI and AGP I/O performance that
> it will be a long time before I consider one again,
> regardless of claimed CPU benchmark performance.

I used to agree with you. Heck, I used to have the same "stability" bias
against AMD-based systems.

However, the small guys usually offer new chipset chipset features and
performance levels several months before Intel, so we gave a few 3rd
party boards another tryout. I've had no trouble with any of the recent
(last 2 years or so) VIA-based or SiS-based motherboards my company has
purchased. We always buy Asus, who seems (in my experience) to make the
most stable MoBos besides intel. You might want to give them another
chance.

Regards,
        -ryan-