On 10.8.2011 0:13, Ian Romanick wrote:

Two words: contributory infringement.  The Mesa code would be doing
something that enables something else to infringe.  No distro will ship
it because it makes them liable.  Don't look for logic or reason or
sense in the legal system.  You won't find it.

My hope always was that the "something else" is already covered by its own license.

... but in such world, I understand that it is better to stay away of the trouble until the problem is legally sorted out. I promise I won't reopen the S3TC thread again ;-)

Regards,
Petr