On 22 January 2016 at 18:15, Christian König <deathsim...@vodafone.de> wrote:
>> Form autofoo perspective things look great.
>
> Thanks, that exactly what I wanted to know.
>
>> Although I second Ilia's concern - we need a form of runtime detection
>> here. Pretty much all distros ship the vdpau(+ other video driver
>> backend) in a separate library. Thus this will likely get us nowhere
>> we want - as I'm suspecting this is to assist the unsuspecting user,
>> which hasn't installed package X or Y in the first place ?
>
> As I said, Mesa should NOT check what vdpau backend libraries are installed
> or used before advertising NV_vdpau_interop.
>
> Take a look at how the interop works, NV_vdpau_interop should be advertised
> if the OpenGL implementation provides the necessary functions. What and if a
> VDPAU backend gets loaded to work with that is completely independent of
> this.

I never said that one should check for vdpau ;-) I was thinking more
of "does the backend driver provides a way for vdpau to work" - i.e.
radeon/amdgpus and nouveau export the extra entrypoint that allows you
to share the winsys but others do not. There is also the, as you know
better than me, version (miss)-match of dri and vdapu modules, which
also should be checked at runtime ?

> We want to switch over to a DMABuf based interop implementation so that we
> can get away from using the Mesa internal structures.
>
> This not only has the advantage of fixing this ugly hack, but also would
> allow an application to decode on one driver (radeonsi) and display with
> another one (r600).

Moving towards dmabuf is a great thing. I was suggesting that we add a
comment/reference about the current state of things.
Seems like my example set your blood boiling - sorry about that.

-Emil