Perhaps you'd be interested in having a look at kmscube:
https://github.com/robclark/kmscube

This is a simple demo which uses GBM and passes the resulting buffers
to KMS for scanout. Make sure you build mesa with --enable-gbm and
--enable-egl-platforms=drm [and x11 if you still want egl to work in
X11]

  -ilia