On Wed, Sep 14, 2016 at 10:15 PM, Michel Dänzer <mic...@daenzer.net> wrote:
>> No, the current impl is pretty radeon-specific (note - it doesn't work
>> on nouveau, and no other drivers support the interfaces, so ... it's
>> radeon-specific).
>
> We're getting into semantics here, but since the reason it doesn't work
> well with nouveau is a fundamental issue in nouveau (which should also
> affect at least DRI3 in general), while you may call it "de facto radeon
> specific" if you're so inclined, that doesn't make the implementation
> actually radeon specific.

No one's reported any issues with DRI3, I use it on my home desktop
every day. And VDPAU used to work great until these changes to
st/vdpau went in. Prior to those changes in st/vdpau, saying that
"shared == gart" was a perfectly reasonable thing to say, since no one
tried blending/readback on those surfaces (or at least not enough for
it to matter). But now ... poof ... it doesn't work [actually, worse -
it works - but can't come close to keeping up with 24fps video].

Anyways, I realize this is a losing argument. Interfaces and usages
move forward and change over time. This happens to be a change that
leaves nouveau behind. As a spare-time contributor, I can't keep up
with multiple full timers. I had hoped that there'd be some way to
make it all still work, but that doesn't seem to be the case.
Unfortunately end users are going to lose out on functionality as a
result.

  -ilia