On Sat, Oct 29, 2011 at 12:58 AM, Vadim Girlin <vadimgir...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sat, 2011-10-29 at 01:29 +0400, Vadim Girlin wrote:
>> On Fri, 2011-10-28 at 23:16 +0200, Marek Olšák wrote:

>> > Do you mean this?
>> >
>> > while (1) {
>> >   begin_query(q);
>> >   draw();
>> >   end_query(q);
>> >   render_condition(q);
>> >   draw();
>> >   render_condition(NULL);
>> > }
>> >
>> > begin_query always resets query results to 0 anyway, so in theory, we
>> > could re-use the same data block over and over again.
>>
>> I think it's possible to run this loop without flushes, so we'll have
>> multiple queries queued in current cs. From the driver point of view
>> these queries will be executed simultaneously after flush, that's why we
>> need to reserve and initialize separate data blocks for them.
>>

> Probably we also need to use PIPE_TRANSFER_UNSYCHRONIZED to avoid the
> flush when mapping the buffer for data block initialization in the
> r600_query_begin. It seems I missed this, or the mapping semantics were
> changed with winsys change.

Ah I see. I entirely missed the map/unmap part. Of course there is an
implicit sync in the winsys (the flush is not so expensive, but the
sync is). UNSYCHRONIZED would be dangerous in this particular case,
because the GPU may still use the previous buffer data. UNSYCHRONIZED
can only be used if we're 100% sure the GPU doesn't use the buffer
range we're going to change. I see only two ways out of this:

1) If the buffer is full, we can allocate another one and use that. I
don't think we have any other choice with current Mesa master.

2) We can program the GPU to memset the buffer. This would be very
easy with transform feedback.

I prefer (2).

Marek