On 16/03/17 22:36, Marek Olšák wrote:
Is there a way not to use ninja with meson, because ninja redirects
all stderr output from gcc to stdout, which breaks many development
environments that expect errors in stderr?

I'm basically saying that if ninja can't keep gcc errors in stderr, I
wouldn't like any project that I might be involved in to require ninja
for building.

Marek

Yes, that's an annoying behavior from ninja.

I use a simple shell script for IDEs that care about that (e.g., with QtCreator):

  $ cat `which ninja-stderr `
  #!/bin/sh
  ninja "$@" 1>&2

There's a rationale for ninja to behave like that -- ninja buffers the whole program output, but and they use a combined buffer for both stderr and stdout so lines appear in same order. Still, it would be nice if they fixed this for everybody.

Jose