Andy Furniss wrote:
Well it's a tricky situation with cabac which would be a shame to loose.

Currently I guess it's a bit strange advertising main/high - but then
others do without having mbaff support ....

As it stands with cabac on I can make (what I think is) a perfectly
legal stream with ffmpeg or gstreamer (ignoring current mesa issue).

... -c:v h264_vaapi -profile:v 77 -bf 0 ...

... max-bframes=0 ! video/x-h264, profile=main ...

Hmm, maybe some tweaking would be needed for that to work properly
testing shows that it comes out as 88 - maybe to do with the constrained
flags being set in the driver that's expecting baseline?