On 18/05/17 07:34, Marek Olšák wrote:
On May 17, 2017 11:13 PM, "Timothy Arceri" <tarc...@itsqueeze.com <mailto:tarc...@itsqueeze.com>> wrote:

    On 18/05/17 04:23, Marek Olšák wrote:

        On Wed, May 17, 2017 at 7:36 PM, Ilia Mirkin
        <imir...@alum.mit.edu <mailto:imir...@alum.mit.edu>> wrote:

            On Wed, May 17, 2017 at 1:26 PM, Ian Romanick
            <i...@freedesktop.org <mailto:i...@freedesktop.org>> wrote:

                On 05/16/2017 09:04 PM, Jason Ekstrand wrote:

                    On May 16, 2017 18:30:00 Timothy Arceri
                    <tarc...@itsqueeze.com
                    <mailto:tarc...@itsqueeze.com>> wrote:

                        On 17/05/17 02:38, Ian Romanick wrote:

                            What *actual* problem are you trying to
                            solve?  Honestly, it seems like
                            you're just trying to find stuff to do.  We
                            have a mechanism to make
this work, and it's not that hard. Introducing a deprecation period and
                            everything that involves will make it more
                            work, not less.

                    I think that's a fair question

                        To be fair aren't we in a stage in Mesa's
                        life-cycle where the focus is
                        on tidying-up / optimisations. It's not like
                        there are large spec
                        updates in the pipeline.

                    If we are genuinely making things more maintainable,
                    then maybe
                    deprecation is reasonable.  However, of it's just
                    churn, then it may
                    just be a source of new bugs to fix.  I think asking
                    "why?" is perfectly
                    reasonable.

                    On the other side, perhaps we should consider
                    instead taking advantage
                    of the backwards comparability and dropping some of
                    the old and
                    unmaintained drivers from the tree, put them on a
                    critical-bugfix-only
                    branch, and recommend that distros build two mesas
                    and only install the
                    loader from the newer one.  Dropping i915, r200, and
                    other effectively
                    unmaintained drivers from the tree would make it
                    much easier to do core
                    state tracker cleanups since there would effectively
                    only be two state
                    trackers: gallium and i915. For example, there's a
                    lot of code floating
                    around for dealing with hardware that doesn't have
                    native integers.

                r300 and r400 in Gallium do not have native integers.  I
                don't know
                about NV30.

            NV30 does not have native integers. Neither does a2xx. Not
            sure about etnaviv.

                I wanted to remove support for NV04 and NV05 last year
                because they are
                unused, unmaintained, and demonstrably *broken*, and I
                could not even
                get consensus on that.

            For the record, they work and are maintained (although
            imperfect, with
            some known breakage). Maintained, to me, means "if someone
            comes with
            an issue, there will be an attempt to address it". But
            they're rarely
            tested, and questionably used by anyone other than the
            tester (me),
            and only on NV5, as I don't have a NV4.

            Separately, I'd definitely consider a discussion about
            cleaving off
            the post-modern-times drivers (DX10+ hardware) from the
            pre-modern-times hardware (DX9 and older), and moving those
            off into a
            mesa-pre-dx9 repository. I doubt there are too many
            bugs/features for
            those that would greatly benefit from a shared repository.
            And mesa
            could shed a ton of support code in the process. On both sides.

        This is the boldest proposal I've seen so far. I have some
        sentimental
        feelings about gallium/r300, but if it were the only driver without
        native integer support blocking some major Mesa cleanup, I would let
        it go. If we wanna discuss driver removal, the most likely
        candidates
        are i915g (completely broken currently) and maybe some classic
        drivers. I guess some people have feelings about their classic
        drivers
        too, but at the end of the day we have to decide what's best for the
        future.

    My thinking was that we would use a separate repository as Ilia is
    suggesting and it would essentially be a separate project from Mesa
    that evolves on its own i.e. the drivers wouldn't just be dropped in
    a branch like the dri1 drivers were and contributors would be free
    to clean-up all the unrelated code that is only used by the new
    drivers etc.

Where can I find the contributors? As far as I know, there are none. It would be a dead repo from the beginning.

As I said below it's probably wishful thinking. But if it is definitely going to be a dead repo from the beginning there is no reason not to break off these drivers :)

Marek

    In this scenario there would be no reason to feel sentimental as the
    drivers would live on and potentially in a better state than staying
    in Mesa, but maybe it's wishful thinking that such a project would
    gain much support.