On Fri, 2018-03-16 at 09:51 -0400, Ilia Mirkin wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 16, 2018 at 8:40 AM, Juan A. Suarez Romero
> <jasua...@igalia.com> wrote:
> > Nominated means that these patches does not enter in this release due they
> > arrived a bit late, but they are proposed to cherry-pick them for the next
> > release (in 1 or 2 weeks).
> >
> > The reason is that some days before this pre-announcement is sent, we close
> > the
> > list of patches that enter in the release, and we do a lot of testing to
> > verify
> > nothing is broken). If there's some regression, we just try to fix them. And
> > when everything is ready, we send the pre-announcement email.
> >
> > The nominated patches are those that arrive after we close the list, and we
> > are
> > under the testing process. As we don't want to restart the full process
> > again
> > and again, we just nominate them for the next release. Otherwise that would
> > delay the release too much.
>
> Why not send the pre-announcement right when it's closed? Since your
> testing doesn't cover all drivers, shouldn't everyone just be able to
> test at the same time, and then be able to add to the existing list
> with additional fixes (or removals of picked commits)?

Because we want to propose a release candidate that has been tested as much as
possible, to avoid bothering people with a proposal that we need to change
because it is causing regressions (and believe me this is quite common). So we
do different tests, thanks to Intel CI which covers a lot of tests and
configurations, before doing the pre-announcement.

Note that between we start the testing and do the pre-announcement there is a
difference of few hours, and hence the list of nominated patches is quite
reduced (either none, or a couple of them). This time wasn't the case, and it
took some days. But it is not the usual case.

And finally, that is the reason why there is a couple of days between the pre-
announcement and the final announcement: for people to do more tests with
different configurations, and propose inclusions/removals.

Cheers,

        J.A.